Wednesday, September 9, 2020
Yesterday was probably painful if you did the exercise I gave you. None of us likes to dig that deep into our hearts. We’ve spent years putting on masks and clothing that cover the dirt we don’t want exposed. But exposing it is the only way to eliminate it. I hope you have a testimony of the incredible healing power of God’s grace you experienced as you humbled yourself before the the Lord.
Once we have confessed the sin that affects our intimacy with Christ and our witness to the world, we can focus on what makes us strong. Read the words of Paul as he encourages Timothy to represent the Gospel with his life.
“You, however, have followed my teaching, my conduct, my aim in life, my faith, my patience, my love, my steadfastness, my persecutions and sufferings that happened to me at Antioch, at Iconium, and at Lystra—which persecutions I endured; yet from them all the Lord rescued me.” 2 Timothy 3:10-11 ESV
Here’s a quick list of the characteristics of a person who is devoted to Jesus.
- Follow the teachings of Scripture
- Follow the example of others who faithfully follow Jesus
- Set life goals that accomplish the gospel mission of redemption
- Learn from the faith of others
- Learn to be patient and wait on the Lord to reveal His will
- Learn to love others with the love of Jesus
- Stay strong and keep serving the Lord even when it’s hard
- Endure persecution and suffering knowing that the Lord will give you strength and deliver you.
Now, review the list, and do two things. First, give praise to God for the grace He gave you to be growing in the character of Christ. Then second, ask the Holy Spirit to strengthen you in the areas where you may not be growing. Believe me when I tell you, because Jesus said it first, the time is coming, and is already here, when we will need each of these characteristics to stand against the evil of the day.