Monday, October 14, 2019
Someday. We use that term in a variety of ways. Someday I’m gonna get around to that. Someday it will turn around for me. Someday they will get what they have coming to them. Someday I’ll be able to retire. I’m sure there are literally hundreds of other applications of the word someday. But there is a someday coming that will be like no other day. It will be SOME day!
Attention is drawn to that someday over 100 times in the Old Testament. Generally it is referred to as that day. And what a day it will be! It will be a literal day of redemption for the world and its political powers. It is a day for which we patiently wait.
Isaiah 19:19 In that day there will be an altar to the LORD in the heart of Egypt, and a monument to the LORD at its border.
According to Isaiah 19, there are six specific things God will do in that day:
- There is a day coming when all the sins of the nations will be judged and punished, and it will be a terrifying day. (Isaiah 19:16)
- In that day the culture will be influenced by the people of God, rather than the culture attempting to eliminate the influence of God’s people. (19:18)
- When Jesus comes in that day, the nations of the world will be politically and socially centered on Him. Anyone who enters at the border will have their attention drawn to the Lord, and anyone who lives there will be under the authority of the Lord. (19:19)
- In that day there will be far more than just political allegiance to the Lord: there will be worship. The people will not be captives in their own land, nor will they be forced to follow an unwelcome conqueror. They will be in love with the Lord who set them free from the tyranny of sin. They will worship Him. (19:21)
- In that day the Lord will bring reconciliation between enemies. Nations and people will be brought together in the love of God and will worship the One True Living God, Jesus Christ. They will cooperate politically and socially, and there will be an end to all war. (19:23)
- There will no longer be any aggression towards God’s chosen. All of Israel’s enemies will surrender to the power and authority of Jesus Christ and He will unite them as one. He will call those who are not Jews His people. He will reveal how He has been working in and through His enemies to fulfill His handiwork. He will affirm Israel as the people of promise and bring all the nations into His inheritance. (19:24-25)
Someday! Let that day come soon! But for today, may the Holy Spirit accomplish His work in my heart.
- May I confess and repent of my sin.
- May I begin to influence my culture and resist its influence on me.
- May I focus all my political opinions and choices on Jesus Christ.
- May my life be a living sacrifice to Christ as my spiritual act of worship (Rom. 12:1).
- May I be the minister of reconciliation between people.
- May I recognize and join the handiwork of God in the world as He brings about redemption and peace.