Tuesday, July 23, 2019
Did you know that darkness does not exist? There is no tangible or measurable or scientifically provable element called darkness. Darkness is the absolute absence of light, and light is a tangible, measurable, and scientifically provable element. Before God created light on the first day of creation, darkness reigned. God did not create something that produces light until the 4th day of creation, yet he had already established periods of light and dark called day and night. From the very beginning of creation God was making it clear that without Him there is no light, and that He alone is the light of the world.
Jesus said of himself, “I am the Light of the world.” (John 8:12) To those who understand Scripture this is one of His proofs of Divinity. He went on to say that “whoever follows me will never walk in darkness, but will have the light of life.” It doesn’t say that we will be guided by the light of life, or that our path will be illuminated by the light of life, or that light will be available when we need it, but rather that we will have the light of life. The Light of the world makes us a light to the world. Our entire nature becomes light.
Matthew 5:14-16 “You are the light of the world. A city on a hill cannot be hidden. Neither do people light a lamp and put it under a bowl. Instead they put it on its stand, and it gives light to everyone in the house. In the same way, let your light shine before men, that they may see your good deeds and praise your Father in heaven.”
What an incredible truth – we are the light of the world. We are so much more than just people who understand light or have a working knowledge of light or can explain light to someone else: WE ARE LIGHT!
But Jesus reveals that as people of free will, we can choose to hide the light. There is so much light being hidden by so many people. So many lights giving off so little light. So many lights choosing to blend into the darkness around them when they could be eliminating darkness by illuminating the world.
We might ask ourselves how the light shines through us to the world. In the Sermon on the Mount, Jesus explains how:
- Through pure hearts (Matthew 5:21-22; 27-30)
- By reconciliation of relationships (Matt. 5:23-26; 31-32)
- Through integrity in business and relationships (Matt. 5:33-37)
- Through people with self-control, humility, and a serving spirit (Matt. 5:38-42)
- When self-sacrifice and forgiveness define relationships with enemies (Matt. 5:43-48
- When generosity without recognition happens (Matt. 6:1-4)
- When a spirit of prayer is evident (Matt. 6:5-15)
- When financial decisions are based on Kingdom priorities (Matt. 6:19-24)
- When faith in Christ remains strong regardless of circumstances (Matt. 6:25-34)
- When critical and judgmental spirits cease (Matt. 7:1-6)
It would be good to review our lives in “light” of these truths and reflect on how much Light we are truly reflecting to the world.
Let your light shine before all men, so that all the attention is drawn to the Father in heaven and not to us.