Friday, April 20, 2018
Philippians 2:13 …for it is God who works in you, both to will and to work for his good pleasure.
Luke 12:31-32 Instead, seek his kingdom, and these things will be added to you. 32 “Fear not, little flock, for it is your Father’s good pleasure to give you the kingdom.
So far this week we have discovered what I consider to be some very important truths that produce confidence in us to continue on the journey to joy:
- We can be confident because we know it is God who is working in us;
- We can be confident because we know that God is merging our wills with His so that what we want and what we choose are in constant agreement with His heart and mind;
- We can be confident because we know that all our activity is empowered by His presence and that we are acting in ways that please Him according to our unique position in His body called the church.
Now today, we come to the last part of Philippians 2:13, where the question of why we serve God is answered. For some of us, this is the most important point. I am a classic “why” person. I want to know how everything works, but more importantly I need to know why it was designed to work in the first place. What is the purpose? If there is no definable purpose for an action, then why participate in the activity?
Paul says in Philippians 2:13 that the desired outcome of the work of God transforming our wills and our actions is to accomplish God’s good purpose. In the process of working out our salvation, as our wills and our ways are brought into compliance with His, we are motivated by knowing that we are accomplishing God’s plan.
Have you considered how incredible that is? Almighty Sovereign God, who needs nothing outside of Himself to sustain Himself and to fulfill Himself, has chosen to include us in the accomplishment of His eternal plan, to fully reveal His glory to His creation. WOW! I am called by God to serve Him so that His kingdom can be established in all the earth. That’s a “why” that motivates me.
Here are some thoughts running through my head this morning as I consider this incredible truth:
- All other pursuits of life are to be subject to seeking the kingdom of God.
- All my needs will be met when I seek first the kingdom of God.
- It has pleased God to include me in the kingdom and to make me a joint heir of the kingdom with His Son Jesus.
- Because I know the big “why” of the final outcome of the kingdom, I can endure the times when I don’t see the little “why’s” every day.
- Even when it looks like I’m losing, I am confident because God has made me more than a conqueror through Jesus Christ. Thanks be to God who gives us the victory!
- Even when things appear bad, all things are working out for good because I love Him, and I am living according to His purpose, because He called me to do so.
Are you lacking confidence in life? Are you questioning the purpose of your life? These issues are resolved in a personal surrender to the work of God in your life. Jesus gives you an eternally valuable reason to live, plus the guarantee of victory at the end. Be bold and be strong, for the Lord your God is with you!