Monday, January 25, 2016
Psalm 69:13 But as for me, my prayer is to you, O LORD. At an acceptable time, O God, in the abundance of your steadfast love answer me in your saving faithfulness.
For three weeks I have been camped in this scenic overlook meditating on this verse. When I wake up in the morning and open the blinds of the camper to see the new day, a truth as new as the colors of the sunrise fills my vision. When I stare out into the vast universe before I close the blinds to sleep I am embraced by the magnificence of God. I see myself as one of those tiny twinkling lights and yet somehow I know that God sees me, knows me, named me, and loves me. In between my rising and my resting, I am overwhelmed with the abiding presence of God knowing that whatever happens, He has an acceptable time for it to be resolved.
Not until today have I been led to write about what God has shown me from this verse. I am going to be brief and simple. But let me say up front that I challenge you to find a way to camp in this same scenic overlook for some time and reflect on the marvel of God’s love and faithfulness.
First, the history. David is in trouble. He shouts, “Save me, O God!” The whole Psalm is a summary of David’s current trouble – serious trouble – and His cry to God for deliverance. Can you relate?
Now the lessons God is teaching me from verse 13:
- Take your hands off it. People may be talking about us, spreading gossip and lies, or seeking to harm us with words or actions. Our natural response is to strike back with enough force to stop the attacks. At the minimum we seek to set the record straight. Take your hands off it. But as for me, my prayer is to you, O LORD.
- Wait for God to act in His time. Notice two things – God has a time to act, and God’s time is the only acceptable time. Anything and everything I do any other time is unacceptable and will not resolve the problem.
- God will answer in the abundance of His steadfast love. Go ahead, break this down word by word. God will answer. The answer will be a direct expression of His love. He will answer because His love is steadfast and never stops motivating His activity. His love is abundant, so His answer are not limited to just solving the problem but also bring growth and maturity to us.
- His answers always save us. The problem will be resolved – in His acceptable time. Our lives will be changed because of His abundant love.
- He is faithful to save us. He cannot not rescue us. He is mighty to save, and His faithfulness guarantees our deliverance.
The perceived deadly or destructive influence of your present situation is easily handled by God. Trust Him. Let Him work in His time. He is loving and faithful. He will deliver you.
Take your hands off!